According to the industry experts, Medicare card comes with randomly assigned MBI (Medicare Beneficiary Identifier), which comprises of 11 numbers and letters. There are however, some differences present in the new card, which includes the following:
- Uppercase numbers and letters
- To avoid confusing of numbers with letters, Z, S, O, L, I and B is not used.
- There is no embedded logic.
- Positions 9, 8, 5 and 2 are likely to be letters always.
- Every beneficiary to be assigned with a unique identifier.
The Medicare recipients are being sent the card through mail whose dispatch started from April 2018 and is expected to be completed by 2019. Each and every person applying for Medicare Supplement plans needs to have adequate knowledge of what is covered by traditional Medicare and accordingly select the most appropriate supplement plan to meet his specific medical requirements.
What is to be known by the Medicare recipients?
On availing Medicare and Medicare Supplement plans, the person needs to keep in mind the following aspects. You can get a quote for a 2019 medicare advantage plan at www.medicareadvantage2019.org/
- For getting the card, nothing is to be done as it will be mailed automatically to all recipients.
- Ensure that Medicare is provided with correct current address, so as to derive timely delivery of the card.
- The card in question might be kept in an envelope resembling junk mail.
- On receipt of the card, it is necessary to destroy the old one and start using it immediately.
- There is no need to worry if friends and relatives have got the new card and the person still is to get one. Mailing cards to all recipients will take adequate time.
- Since the new card is made out of paper, it should be laminated to protect it.
- The new card is to be taken during the next healthcare visit.
- In case, the new card is not taken along, the healthcare provider may check out the Medicare identification online.
Those having Medicare Advantage plans should retain the plan’s card. It will be wise to have Medicare Supplement plans and Advantage cards together when visiting the doctor or hospital.
Beware of scams
When availing Medicare and buying Medicare Supplement plans, it is necessary to be wary of scams that are now becoming common with new cards. One should never give out his/her personal details over phone to anyone and take careful and well researched decisions.